New job for Dale

Dale, a former soldier who was injured while serving in Afghanistan, will be starting a new job on Monday 8th October with support from The Poppy Factory.


Dale said: “I am really excited to be starting a new job next week, my first since 2013.

“Growing up, I always loved cars so after school, I went to college to study mechanics. I applied for the Army and ended up serving nine years as a Guardsman/Drummer in the Welsh Guards. But in 2009, I drove over an IED in Afghanistan.

“I had serious head injuries, broke my spine in three places my left leg was amputated. I had rehabilitation for two and a half years at Hedley court and was finally discharged in 2013. It was a very difficult time but the thought of my partner, who is now my wife, and children, kept me going.

"Then I contacted The Poppy Factory and started talking to Natalie, the Employment Consultant for South West Wales. I told her I wanted to work with vehicles, maybe in a driving capacity, but I wasn’t sure if it would be possible with my back.”

“The Poppy Factory secured funding for me to complete my Driver Certificate of Professional Competence from the Army Benevolent Fund. I already held my Class 2 licence but needed to do my Class 1 as it was going to be the most suitable type of driving role for me. Natalie sourced a training provider and worked with Tom Hall from Blesma who provided the funding which I passed with flying colours!

“Within a week of getting my Class 1 licence, Natalie introduced me to Jeff Williams, a Transport Manager at John Raymond Transport Ltd, who she had met at a local jobs fair. We went to visit the company site for a tour and find out more about employment opportunities.

“I was offered a job and am starting on Monday 8th October. I couldn’t be happier.”

Jeff at JRT (part of the Nolan Group), said: “We are all absolutely delighted to have Dale joining us. It is a pleasure to give someone like Dale a chance in life that he thoroughly deserves. With the correct training, Dale will be a massive asset to our company.”

Good luck Dale!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nolan Group acquires John Raymond Transport Limited